Not many days pass by that I’m not suggesting ‘baby wearing’. Babies cry less when they are worn; and there’s research to back it up! There are lots of options and babies as small as 8 pounds can be worn. Some wraps can seem a little intimidating at first glance, but after a few tries, you will be wrapping and wearing a happy baby with ease.
“Where can I buy one of these?” My patients ask me all the time. I have a My Brest Friend Nursing Pillow in my office, and I use it regularly when I’m working with moms and newborns. So often, moms struggle with positioning a newborn, and that can make latching difficult. The My Brest Friend pillow makes positioning much easier and is comfortable for mom and baby. This may be my favorite of all my favorite products.
This book cracks me up! It’s a realistic guide for moms preparing to return to work. It was written by a real-life pumping and working mom who uses humor to bond with her readers. Although she is not a Lactation Consultant, she collaborated with IBCLCs to ensure that her information was accurate. I have this book in my office and loan it out to my local moms.
This is another of my daily go-to resources. Making More Milk was written by an experienced Lactation Consultant and is filled with insightful explanations of why some moms struggle with milk production. It also provides helpful tips and suggestions for practitioners and moms.
I LOVE these children’s books and stuffed toys! Breastfeeding is the normal way to feed a baby kitten, a baby puppy, and a baby human. What great ways to explain breastfeeding to a soon-to-be big brother or sister.
Herbal supplements can help to raise milk supply, but oftentimes its necessary to take lots of capsules per day. UpSpring Milkflow All-Natural Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle Capsules for Breastmilk Supply, 100 Count Breastfeeding Pills” target=”_blank” rel=”noopener”>Upspring Milkflow’s combination of fenugreek and blessed thistle is concentrated enough to reduce the number needed per day.
Motherlove More Milk Special Blend Herbal Breastfeeding Supplement with Goat’s Rue for Lactation Support, 60 Liquid Capsules” target=”_blank” rel=”noopener”>Motherlove More Milk Special Blend contains fenugreek and blessed thistle to stimulate your body to make more milk. It also contains goat’s rue that stimulates the growth of breast tissue.
- Purchase six yards of stretchy fabric. Jersey knit is a great option because its machine washable, pretty durable, and won’t fray at all on the ends. It’s also widely available and pretty affordable, too! If you’re petite, you might only need four yards of this fabric. You’ll be able to judge the right amount based on your body size, but it’s always best to buy extra and trim off as needed.
- Wash and dry your fabric before you get started.
- Stretch your fabric out completely along the floor and fold it in half down the middle so that you have one long, thinner piece of fabric.
- The short end of your fabric should be at least 25” long after this step.
- Cut down the long, folded edge of the fabric to create two separate pieces. You don’t have to be too careful about this as long as you don’t make one piece significantly more tapered than the other!
- Try the wrap on without the baby first. If it seems too long, cut off the extra length. Be careful to only cut off a few inches at a time so you don’t risk having to sew it back on again!
- Tie the wrap as you normally would and test it out with your baby. You’re ready to go.