How is breastfeeding going?
Following is the checklist that I give to my breastfeeding moms when they leave the hospital. I suggest using it during the first couple of weeks starting on day 4. If you aren’t able to check off the items on the list, follow up with your Lactation Consultant for help.
- Do your breasts feel full before you feed your baby and softer after the feeding?
- Are your breasts and nipples free of pain, soreness, cracks, blisters, and redness?
- Is your baby waking to eat at least 8-12 times per day?
- Is your baby latching to the breast easily and staying latched throughout the feeding?
- Do you feel and see that your baby is suckling at the breast?
- Can you hear your baby swallowing?
- Does your baby appear satisfied after feeding?
- Does your baby have at least 4 poops per day, turning yellow and seedy by day 5-6?
- Does your baby have at least 4 wet diapers per day?
- Is your baby gaining 1/2 to 1 oz per day?